Check Engine Light: What To Do When It Comes On
You're driving along and suddenly, your vehicles check engine light starts flashing. What does this mean and what should you do next? When your engine light comes on, your car has diagnosed an electronic-control system and is unable to repair it on it's own.
Your check engine light means different things for different types of cars, so start by ready the manual. The problem could be very small or be something more worrisome. It's recommended to take care of the problem as soon as possible. Bring your car into Pro Am Collision & Mechanical and we can diagnosis the problem right away with our scanners.
When a check engine light comes on, it may be signifying one of the following reasons:
1) Oxygen sensor needs replacing: If you do not replace this, you can lose up to 40% of fuel in the long run.
2) There may be something wrong with the gas cap.
3) Catalytic converter needs to be replaced. A broken converter means your car will run at a higher, more dangerous temperature.
4) Mass air flow sensor needs replacing. A broken sensor means you will be making extra unnecessary trips to the gas station.
5) Spark plugs or plug wires need to be replaced: If left unfixed, your vehicle will begin to run poorly.
When your engine light starts flashing, do let it go unnoticed. To schedule an appointment, call 616-363-9201 or use our online scheduling tool. Pro Am Collision and Mechanical is conveniently located at 5285 Plainfield Avenue, Grand Rapids, MI 49525, right by the corner of Plainfield and East Beltline.